Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30th, 2009

So we were able to get another sweet pair of ducks! This time they are Blue Runners. They are a very cute couple. They are pretty calm but they definitely could use some "hand feeding." They are about 12 weeks along and pretty much all feathered in. He is just starting to get his curly in. The lady who sold them to us also sold us the cage which will serve as a shield for when the wild, ravenous beast decides to attack.
We got them because the little Khaki Campbells we got last Monday are really scared of us...We've tried over and over to hold them, feed them, but eh just squirm and squeak until you put them down...I still don't have a great picture of them because whenever I poke my head in or even show my face they frantically run around the cage and hide under the ramp. Other ducklings we've had would squeak when we'd first pick them up, except Goldi, but not like them...We still really haven't decided whether or not we're going to keep them or sell them...

So that evening my Mrs. Jack B. Quick was cutting my hair out on our back lawn when our neighbor yelled, "I think your ducks are lose..." We looked back at the pen and we could see the two blues and knew that the little ducklings couldn't get out. So I stayed put and Mrs. J.B. Quick went to check it out. Not 30 seconds later they both yelled, "Get up here!" So I went running up, with my hair halfway cut and the apron still on to see what was going on. Our neighbor walked back holding a cute little mallard duckling that had just wondered into the yard. I went looking to see if I could hear a momma duck quacking or maybe find other ducklings but nothing. So we decided to keep her and named her Mallie. She is so cute and tiny! She can't be more than a day or two old. She is so sweet! She'll just cuddle up in your hand and fall right to sleep but occasionally she'll spring from your hand and go hide in the grass and good luck finding her...Practically impossible to find! So we now currently own 6 ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment